left shadow right shadow

City Departments

City of Ukiah Civic Center

How to File a Claim for Damages

Why must a claim be filed?

The State Legislature enacted Government Code Section 910, et al., which provides legal guidelines for resolving disputes involving public funds. These guidelines exist for both the public and the public agency. Some of those legal guidelines are:

a.)     Claims for death, injury to person, or to personal property must be filed not later than six months after the occurrence. See Government Code Section 911.2.

b.)    Claims for damages to real property must be filed not later than one (1) year after the occurrence. See Government Code Section 911.2.

c.)    A written Application for Leave to Present a Late Claim, along with a copy of the proposed claim, must be filed when a claim is not submitted within the time guideline.  See Government Code Section 911.4.

Instructions for filing a claim against the City of Ukiah

1.)    To ensure processing of your claim, complete each item on the claim form

2.) Mail or hand deliver the completed and signed claim form to the City Clerk, City of Ukiah, 300 Seminary Ave, Ukiah, CA 95482

3.)    Once your claim is received, it will be forwarded to the City’s Risk Management Division for processing by the Risk Manager.

4.)    Once the investigation of your claim has been completed, you will be notified in writing or contacted directly with regard to the merits of your claim. In order for the City to utilize public funds for payment on any claim, there first must be an evaluation of liability.

5.)    If you have any questions about completing this form or the claims process, please contact the Risk Manager at (707) 463-6287.

Presentation of a false claim is a felony (Penal Code §72). Pursuant to CCP §§128.5 and 1038, the City may seek to recover costs of defense in the event an action is filed that is later determined not to have been brought in good faith and with reasonable cause.

Comments are closed.