left shadow right shadow

City Departments

Claims FAQ

How do I file a claim for damages against the City?

If you believe that the city is responsible for damages to you or your property, you must file a written claim within six months of the incident, in most cases.  In order to meet legal requirements you must supply specific information.  To assist you in meeting those requirements, the city has prepared a claim form for your use.  Hard copy claim forms are available from the City Clerk’s Office or the Risk Management Department.  Completed claim forms should be mailed or hand delivered to the City Clerk’s Office along with copies of invoices, receipts or pictures documenting your damages.  The City Clerk is located at City of Ukiah, 300 Seminary Ave, Ukiah, CA 95482

What happens to the claim after it is filed?

After a claim is filed, it is forwarded to the City’s third party administrator for handling.  A claims adjuster will contact the claimant to discuss the claim and determine damages.  Risk Management also conducts an in-house investigation.  The results are forwarded to the claim adjusted who subsequently reports to the City whether the claim should be accepted or denied.

Is this the same thing as small claims court?

No, small claims court is part of the Mendocino County Courts.  However, before filing an action with the small claims court, a claim must first have been filed with the City and rejected.

Comments are closed.