- Adult Sports
- Contact Info
- Grace Hudson Museum
- Job Opportunities
- Live Scan Services
- Moonlight Movie Madness
- Observatory Park
- Parks & Facilities
- Parks and Recreation
- Parks, Recreation, and Golf Commission
- Recreation Classes
- Sundays in the Park Free Concert Series
- Ukiah On Ice
- Ukiah Valley Conference Center
Fire (Ukiah Valley Fire Authority)
- Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) Polices & Procedures
- Employment Process
- Exceptional Employees Program
- Human Resources Department
- Job Descriptions
- Job Opportunities
- Memorandum of Understandings (MOU’s)
- Personnel Rules & Regulations
- Public Comments
- Salary Schedules by Bargaining Unit
- State Controller’s Local Government Compensation Reports
Office of Emergency Management
Successor Agency/ Oversight Board
Building and Code Enforcement Services
The Building and Code Enforcement Services Division is responsible for reviewing plans, issuing building permits, and performing field inspections to ensure compliance with local and state mandated regulations related to building construction, maintenance, rehabilitation, and accessibility. The Division partners with the Ukiah Police Department for code enforcement activities and to ensure building safety.
The primary goal of Building Services is to provide quality services to the community in a manner that is comprehensive, efficient, knowledgeable, and helpful to the public. Building Services is staffed by the Building Official and Development Permit Coordinator.
Further assistance related to the planning of your construction project is available on the Apps & Handouts, and More Help tabs below.
What's New in the Building Division?
Building Codes and Design Values
The City of Ukiah has adopted the following codes:
2019 California Building Code
2019 California Residential Code
2019 California Electrical Code
2019 California Mechanical Code
2019 California Plumbing Code
2019 California Fire Code
2019 California Green Building Standards Code
2019 California Energy Code
Design Values for the City of Ukiah
Seismic Design Category: D and E
Wind Speed: 110 mph
Exposure: B or C
Snow Load: No snow load unless above 1,300 foot elevation
60 minute rainfall: 1.5 inches
Apps & Handouts
- Building Permit Application
- Demolition Permit Packet for Structures Greater than 50 Years Old
- MCAQMD Asbestos Demolition and Renovation Notification and Release Form
- Notice to Property Owner
- Release of Property Information Form
- Special Inspection Agreement
- Tenant Improvement Submittal Requirements
- Generator Submittal Checklist and Permit Application
- Disability Access Requirements And Resources
- Accessibility Upgrade Hardship Form
- Residential Bathroom Remodel Guidance
- Residential Electrical Panel Upgrade Guidance
- Smoke/CO Self Certificate
- Guidance for Installing a Tank Style Water Heater in a Single Family Residence
- Guidance for Remodeling a Kitchen in a Single Family Residence
- Guidance for Reroofing a Single Family Residence
- Demolition Permit Handout
- Commercial Building Permit Submittal Documents
- Residential Building Permit Submittal Documents
2:00 p.m. - 4:00 p.m.
Call for appointment: 707-467-5786
What is the purpose of Rapid Review?
Rapid Review is designed to expedite the building permit process for small residential projects. Although most small residential building projects still require plans, Rapid Review allows an internal plan review process be completed by multiple City departments in the same afternoon. City staff from the Departments of Public Works, Electric, Fire, and Community Development- Planning and Building Services, will be available to meet with homeowners and contractors during Rapid Review.
By having all City departments available one day for review and completing the review internally, the reviewing timeline is shortened considerably. This allows builders and homeowners to more quickly secure building permits and start their projects.
Here are examples of residential projects eligible for approval under Rapid Review:
- Kitchen Remodel
- Bathroom Remodel
- Decks Under 2 Stories
- Patio Covers
- Fences Over 7 Feet
- Landscaping Structures
- Small Renovations
- EV Chargers
In order to ensure the highest level of service, appointments are required. Please call us at 707-467-5786 to schedule one. Also refer to the handout titled “Residential Building Permit Submittal Documents” for more information and to be prepared for your Rapid Review appointment. Other handouts are also available for kitchen, bathroom, and utility service upgrade projects.
Frequently Asked Questions
- What is an over-the-counter permit?
- Do I need a permit for residential solar panels?
- What do I need to bring with me to obtain a building permit?
- How many copies of the plans do I need to provide for a building permit application?
- How long does plan check take?
- What will my permit cost?
- When do I need to call for an inspection after my permit has been issued?
- How do I schedule or cancel an inspection?
- Do I need a permit to re-roof my house?
- Do I need a permit to install a spa/hot tub?
- Do I need a permit to rebuild or build a new deck?
- Does dry rot repair require a permit?
- Do I need a permit to replace my single pane windows with dual glaze windows?
- I'd like to replace my fence. Do I need a permit?
- My neighbors have re-landscaped their yard and now their rainwater runs into my yard. What can Building Services do about this?
- Is there a building permit for my neighbor's house?
What is an over-the-counter permit?
Over-the-counter permits are permits that can be issued without the need for plan review. Some types of over-the-counter permits are: re-roofs; water heater, furnace and A/C replacements/repairs; electrical service panel upgrades, and other miscellaneous repairs.
Do I need a permit for residential solar panels?
Yes. The City of Ukiah offers expedited building permits for small residential roof-top solar energy systems. All photovoltaic systems require pre-approval before submitting for a building permit. Contact the Building department for an Solar Program Guide Book.
What do I need to bring with me to obtain a building permit?
The submittal requirements for a residential building permit are included in our Residential Building Permit Submittal Documents. The submittal requirements for a commercial building permits are included in out Commercial Building Permit Submittal Requirements Documents. Both documents may be obtained at via the link provided or you may pick one up during regular business hours.
How many copies of the plans do I need to proivde for a building permit application?
The submittal requirements, including the number of plans, for a residential building permit are included in our Residential Building Permit Submittal Documents handout. The submittal requirements, including the number of plans, for a commercial building permits are included in out Commercial Building Permit Submittal Requirements Documents Commercial Building Permit Submittal Documents handout. Both documents may be obtained via the links provided or you may pick one up during regular business hours.
How long does plan check take?
What will my permit cost?
The cost of the permit depends on the type and size of the project. Fees are calculated based on the total valuation of the project, as well as the amount of plumbing, mechanical, and electrical work associated with the project. The Building Valuation Data table includes valuation information based on occupancy type and square footage.
When do I need to call for an inspection after my permit has been issued?
The required inspections are listed on your copy of the permit. All work must be inspected before it is covered up. For example, we must inspect the footing/foundation after it is excavated: installation of steel reinforcement before concrete is poured. A minimum of 48 hours notice is required prior to each inspection. Inspections can be requested by calling 707-463-6739.
How do I schedule or cancel an inspection?
Do I need a permit to re-roof my house?
Yes, a building permit is required. The permit can be issued over the counter and only takes a few minutes. The cost of the permit is based on the valuation of the work, including material and labor costs.
Do I need a permit to install a spa/hot tub?
If it is a plug cord connected spa/ hot tub, the only permit required is for any new electrical work needed to operate the spa/hot tub. If it is a hardwired electrical connection spa/hot tub, permits are required for the spa, electrical, work and plumbing work.
Do I need a permit to rebuild or build a new deck?
Decks not exceeding 200 square feet in area, that are not more than 30 inches above grade at any point, are not attached to a dwelling and do not serve the exit door required by Section R311.4 do not require a building permit.
Does dry rot repair require a permit?
Yes, dry rot repair requires a permit. It takes only a few minutes to complete the permit application and state in writing the scope of work. Most of the time a copy of the termite report is adequate. The permit fee is based on the valuation of the work, including material and labor.
Do I need a permit to replace my single pane windows with dual glaze windows?
Yes, window replacement requires a permit even if you are not changing the opening size. The permit can be issued over the counter and only takes a few minutes. Just bring in a floor plan of your home drawn on 8 1/2" x 11" paper showing the location of the windows being replaced.
I'd like to replace my fence. Do I need a permit?
If the fence is 6 feet or less in height, a building permit is not required. However, fences are required to comply with specific height and locational requirements which are determined by the zoning of the parcel. The zoning of the parcel may be determined by viewing the Zoning Map and the setbacks may be determined by reviewing the setback requirements included in the Fence Setback Table.
Fences taller than 6 feet require approval of a Use Permit. After Use Permit approval, building permit and plans drawn by a California licensed Architect or Engineer with supporting calculations are required. Remember that even though the fence does not require a building permit, there are height and setback requirements which vary depending on the zoning of the property. The height and setbacks requirements are identified in the zoning ordinance and depend on the zoning of the parcel. For more clarification call Planning Services at 707-463-6206.
My neighbors have re-landscaped their yard and now their rainwater runs into my yard. What can Building Services do about this?
Is there a building permit for my neighbor's house?
Please contact the Development Permit Coordinator at 707-463-6203 or email@example.com. Make sure to provide the address of the property in question since permits are identified by address.
Other Helpful Building Services Websites
- Build It Green
- California Building Officials
- California Division of the State Architect: Provides design and construction oversight for K–12 schools, community colleges, and various other state-owned and leased facilities; develops accessibility, structural safety, fire and life safety, and historical building codes and standards.
- California Energy Commission
- National Fire Protection Association
- Redwood Empire Association of Code Officials: Comprised of building officials, design professionals, consulting firms, and the construction industry professioanls from Lake, Marin, Mendocino, and Sonoma counties.
- United States Access Board
- US Green Building Council
- California Building Standards Commission (CBSC): Administers California's building codes, including adopting, approving, publishing, and implementing codes and standards.
- California Contractors State License Board
- Office of the State Fire Marshall
- California Department of Housing and Community Development
- California Fire Chiefs Association
- California Legislation and Law
- US Department of Justice ADA Homepage
- Mendocino County Air Quality Management District
- Mendocino County Air Quality Management District Asbestos Demolition and Renovation Notification Form
- Mendocino County Building Department
- Mendocino County Assessor
- Mendocino County Environmental Health
- Ukiah Unified School District
- Underground Service Alert (USA)
Building Inspector II
Building Services Division
(Building Permit Issuance)
Monday – Friday
8:00 a.m. – 11:30 a.m.
1:00 p.m. – 4:30 p.m.
2:00 p.m. – 4:00 p.m.
Monday – Thursday
8:00 a.m. - 9:00 a.m.
1:00 p.m. - 2:00 p.m.
Building Inspection Services:
Monday – Thursday
9:00 a.m. – noon
2:00 p.m. – 5:00 p.m.
Please see the Public Service Announcement for additional information.