Community Development & Planning
- Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) Polices & Procedures
- Employment Process
- Exceptional Employees Program
- Human Resources Department
- Job Descriptions
- Job Opportunities
- Memorandum of Understanding (MOU’s)
- Personnel Rules & Regulations
- Public Comments
- Salary Schedules
- State Controller’s Local Government Compensation Reports
Successor Agency/ Oversight Board
Fire Department History
The Eagle Hose Company was formed on September 19, 1856. It consisted of citizens who were volunteers. On March 3, 1877 the Eagle Fire Company was formed. This first effort at providing some form of fire service for Ukiah came as a result of the frustration of business owners at watching their buildings burn down, and having no firefighting equipment. Several downtown business owners got together and organized the Eagle Fire Company, and immediately petitioned to the City Council for a ladder truck and hose wagon. Both of these very first pieces of firefighting equipment are still retained by the Fire Department, and can be seen at the Civic Center. You had to be at least 15 years old to be a member.
Subsequently, cisterns were added in the block around the courthouse, and a wooden water main was run into downtown from a water supply in Standley canyon to the West. In the 1880’s, Ukiah purchased a hand-pumped fire engine from Petaluma, which operated into the next century. Motorized apparatus came in the teens of the twentieth century, and a Model TT fire truck, as well as a 1923 American LaFrance fire engine are still retained by the Fire Department.